We are teaching

"When we confront sadness, misfortune, and defeat with a gallant spirit, our children will learn to live bravely."

I recently read this quote, and almost immediately put it in my inspiration file hoping that is would prompt some great thoughts.  Nothing fantastic has arisen, but this truth - what our children learn, they often learn from us - keeps coming to mind.  


As I see character traits good and bad in my children, I wonder, "Where did they learn this?"  Do they see those characteristics, the good and the bad, in me and are imitating me?  Are they learning how to deal with life and the many emotions and circumstances of life by how I act and react?  OK, so it is really not a question . . . they ARE learning by observing me.  But, what are they learning? 

So often I am finding the character traits I see in my family around me that irritate and bother me the most - the ones, I would most like to see change - are the ones that I struggle with on a regular basis.  Those around me, especially my children but I think everyone who observes my life, learns a bit more on how to deal with all the wonderful and challenging things to come by how I respond and react to them all.   What are they seeing/learning?  Is it worth imitating?  

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear what you as our reader have to say, but we do reserve the right to review comments and remove those that we feel are not in line with the purpose of this blog.